El Pollo Loco
Last verified 3/10
Reminder: You must take the responsibility for being vigilant by always reconfirming the GF status of a menu item and addressing cross-contamination issues each and every time.
El Pollo Loco is a fast food restaurant that specializes in marinated, flame-grilled
chicken and “offers a wide variety of Mexican food entrees”.
The following information was emailed 3/24/10 by Susan W. from Customer Service (877-375-4968):
The following menu items do not contain wheat gluten:
- Pinto Beans
- Refried beans
- Cotija cheese
- Mixed Vegetables
- Corn tortillas (Does contain corn gluten)
- Flame grilled mexican chicken - No wheat gluten, however it IS chopped
on the same chopping board as other chicken items that do contain wheat
- Avocado Salsa does not contain wheat, barley or rye gluten.
- The Flan served at El Pollo Loco does not contain gluten at this time.
- The Buffaloco Wings served at El Pollo Loco do not contain gluten at this
- BBQ Chicken Flavor Event does not contain gluten. The product, however, is
prepared on the same cutting board and uses common utensils as other
chicken products that may contain gluten. Depending on your level of
sensitivity, this may or may not be a consideration.
Items that CONTAIN WHEAT GLUTEN
- Tacos El Carbon - Thigh meat contains wheat gluten.
- Taquitos - Chicken blend contains wheat gluten. Flour tortillas contain
- Salsa - Chipolte salsa contains wheat gluten so all salsas served at the
salsa bar are not included on the 'does not contain gluten' list, due to
the risk of cross contamination by guests of one salsa to another while
filling their cups. *Pre- packed salsas with the exception of chipolte,
would be an acceptable option if available.
- Pollo Bowls - Soy sauce used in marinade during preparation contains wheat
- Burritos - Soy sauce used in marinade during preparation contains wheat
- Salads - Soy sauce used in marinade during preparation contains wheat
- Queso sauce currently being served at El Pollo Loco does contain wheat
- Flour Tortillas - Contain wheat gluten.
- Tostada - contains wheat products
Please be mindful that El Pollo Loco does not segregate cutting boards and
there for the possiblity for cross contamination is there.
"I just called the El Pollo Loco customer service line and asked about the flame broiled citrus lime chicken. The guy I got was very knowledgeable. He said that while it does not contain gluten, it may be cut on the same cutting board as other items that contain gluten. He said to explain to them that it is dire that they start from fresh, cut it on a clean board - he said to watch them and then broil it on a clean portion of the grill. I am going to have to try them. Their food looks so good on the ads, and there is no added sugars either. MMMMMM" Zanna
There are many El Pollo Locos in the San Diego area. Refer to their website or the phone book for specific locations.