Recommended for Travel
The following are suggestions of food to take with you while traveling. Some need to be kept in a cooler, many don't. The individual packets will be acceptable in carry-ons for air travel when they are less than 3 oz. Make sure the brands you buy are gluten-free.
- applesauce - comes in individual tub or squeeze-tube servings.
nuts - Trader Joe's sells bags of individual snack-sized bags of almonds.
dry GF cereal
- granola - make sure it's gluten free. These come in resealable bags as well as individual packets .
- oatmeal - individual-serving packets of GF oats (GlutenFreeda). Add hot water in a cup designed for hot beverages and let stand covered for a few minutes.
- condiments -
www.Minimus.biz sells individual packets
of condiments, including soy sauce and other items for travel. Be sure they are gluten-free before purchasing.
GF health/snack bars - Trio Bars, Larabars, and many more
dried fruit - raisins, Craisins, banana chips, dried apricots, etc.
- trail mix - Easy to mix up a trail mix at home of your favorite items (different kinds of plain nuts, shredded coconut, M & M's, chocolate chips, raisins, etc. Trader Joe's also has some marked GF.
- nut butters (peanut, almond, etc.) - Good to have with crackers, apples, or celery. Can bring a jar, or now there are companies that also make individual packets (Justin Naturals at Whole Foods).
rice cakes - The brand Corn Thins crumble less than regular rice cakes.
- chips (corn, potato, etc.)
- GF pretzels
fruit - bananas, apples, grapes
celery (spread with nut butter or cream cheese)
hummus and/or bean dips
tuna in foil pouch or pop-top can.
cheese - individually wrapped cheese sticks work well, or cheese cut into cubes
Pediasure/adult nutrition drink (Boost, Ensure)
popcorn - can be messy.
- GF cookies - Some come individually wrapped.
- boiled egg
- Beef jerkey - make sure it is gluten-free.
Some people also like to bring:
- an immersion heater. This is a small set of coils attached to electrical cords that you can radly heat water with.
- toaster bags. These reusable, washable, plastic bags allow toasting a slice of bread in a toaster without risk of contamination.
Last checked 5/13