Welcome to Gluten Free in SD (San Diego)
The goal of Gluten Free in SD is to provide useful and accurate information about living gluten free in San Diego. Also included are resources that provide additional information about celiac disease and gluten-free diets. Comments, suggestions, and recommendations are encouraged to keep this website up-to-date and as useful as possible. Please use the Contact Us section of the website – all input will be greatly appreciated.
The following are some of the events that will occur or news items that have been reported within the last month (dates indicate when the information was added). The most recently posted are in red type.
- San Diego CSA meeting: Saturday, September 27. Kelli Gray-Meisner, Registered Dietition, will be speaking about the new gluten labeling law that goes into effect on August 4th. All welcome. More info to follow. SD Celiac Support Association
Note: For additional research study summaries and articles, see the Celiac Disease Foundation website under Research News, and the Research section on the Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University website.
- CSA meeting: The BBQ on July 27 was fun and educational for all. About 40 persons attended. The GF potluck dishes everyone brought were delicious, Kelli Gray-Meisner, RD, answered questions for over an hour, and a pinata and lots of swimming were included. Thank you to Udi's for donating the buns, and to all the volunteers who helped make it a success. 7/28
- 7-Day GF Meal Plan: The Celiac Disease Foundation has come up with a 7 Day Meal Plan to help kick-start a gluten-free diet. It includes 3 meals and 2 snacks for each day. The simple recipes provided include interesting, nutritional, and varied recipes for anyone! 7/8
- Celiac Disease on The Daily Show: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (on the Comedy Channel) interviewed actress and GF baker Jennifer Esposito about celiac disease. Esposito's new book Jennifer's Way, discusses her struggles with getting diagnosed with celiac disease. She also owns a GF bakery in NYC by the same name. Stewart also mentioned his son's diagnoses with celiac disease. See interview and an article about it. 7/10
- Delight Gluten-Free Maagazine: Get a discount on a one year subscription (6 issues) for the price of $22. This is a $2 discount if you use the coupon code: csa57 (San Diego CSA Chapter #57). Each issue of Delight Gluten-Free has informative articles and 50+ GF recipes. 7/11
- CSA USA Annual Meeting: This year it will be in Denver Colorado on Saturday, August 16. The meeting will include free admission to the Gluten-Free Food Fair the following day. Celiac Support Association.
- Beware Thorton Hospital: "Misty in CA" wrote to the Listserv about her recent extended stay at Thorton Hospital in La Jolla and her problems getting gluten-free food. It is probably a good warning for all hospitals. Read comments. 7/26
(also see "Resources - Cooking" and "SD Resources - Food")
(also see SD Restaurants by Area, Alphabetized List of SD Restaurants, and SD Resources - Food)
- The Curious Fork: Solana Beach. This location is a cafe, offers cooking classes, does catering, and has a shop. A review on Yelp says their entire menu is gluten free, including GF pizza and sandwiches. Their website does not mention the cafe as yet. http://www.thecuriousfork.com/ 7/24
- Embargo Grill: Point Loma/Sports Arena area. They mark their GF items on the menu. Posted on the "Enjoying Llife Without Gluten!" Meet Up page someone stated: "This Cuban place is great and they have a separate dedicated fryer for all gluten-free fried items. . . . Most of their sauces are gluten free." http://www.embargogrill.com/ 7/30
(also see "Product Updates" and "SD Food Stores")
- Walmart: Karen Reigle stated on 7/21 "We are excited to announce that Walmart's Great Value gluten-free product line
is certified by the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA) endorsed Gluten-Free Certification Program!" These products may not yet be in San Diego area stores.
- Kinnikinnick's new breads: Kinnikinnick now has new white and multigrain sandwich bread that are available in stores throughout San Diego.
According to a person on the listserv, Ayn in Kansas, consumers are "raving about the texture, taste and price. The loaves are 16 ounces, yet cost less than Udi's bread." Kinnikinnick 7/28
- GF Beers: On July 21 the publication Bon Appetit published a list "12 Gluten-Free Beers That Actually Taste Good (Updated for 2014!)". Each beer is pictured, as well as brief info on the beer.
This website was created by Roxie Johnson and "tech wizard" Ken Loomis using the software program Dreamweaver. Ken Loomis has since passed away, and is greatly missed. This website is not sponsored by or affiliated with any specific group, organization, or company.
Both myself (Roxie) and my then-16-year-old daughter (Karen Lynn Johnson) were diagnosed with celiac disease in 1998. This website contains information I have gathered over the years, and also links to what I consider to be many reputable resources for further information. I am not in the medical field, so please consult a physician before acting upon any information provided in this website.
Back to Top
The information, including opinions and recommendations, contained in this website is for educational purposes only. Such information is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. No one should act upon any information provided in this website without first seeking medical advice from a qualified medical physician.