Mountain Mike's Pizza
Last verified 6/12
Reminder: You must take the responsibility of being vigilant by always reconfirming the GF status of a menu item and addressing cross-contamination issues each and every time.
The two Mountain Mike's Pizza locations in San Diego offer gluten-free pizza and many other gluten-free items. They take extra precautions to prevent cross-contamination issues.
See a short video of Samuel Golding at the 2011 Gluten-Free Food Expo explaining the safety of eating GF at his two locations here.
Samuel Golding, the franchise owner, described the especially cautious procedures employed at Mountain Mike's for their gluten free pizza in 2011.
1. We have our crusts made off site in a GF facility to insure that they are GF.
2. Within our kitchen we confine "loose" wheat flour to one specific area. There it is controlled and only removed from containers when being added to water - this reduces any airborne flour.
3. All loose flour in our kitchens is corn flour or rice flour.
4. We use a completely separate set of ingredients to make our GF pizza's. They are kept separate and covered.
5. GF pizzas are made on a piece of 'baking paper'.
6. On a regular basis at every employee meeting we review the GF 101 and cross contamination prevention.
7. Only 'approved' cooks and managers can make GF pizzas.
Making the Pizza
1. A cook will thoroughly wash his hands.
2. A clean pizza pan is placed on a clean surface.
3. A new/clean sheet of backing paper is placed on the pizza pan
4. The crust is removed from it's packaging and placed on the sheet of backing paper (which is much bigger than the crust by design).
5. The pizza is then created using only the separate set of sauces and toppings.
6. Once complete the pizza, still on the baking paper is placed in the oven.
7. The pizza is removed from the oven on the paper and placed on a specific GF cutting board and cut with our GF knife all while on the paper.
8. The pizza, still on the paper is then slid onto a pizza pan or into a box.
The baking paper is key for us and our operations to prevent cross contamination. Our staff knows that if they see paper
that that is a GF pizza and care needs to be taken. By keeping it on the same surface throughout the entire process we
are avoiding more 'links in the chain', no paddles, no peels, tongs, or spatulas. Nothing comes in contact it.
Training is THE most important part of the puzzle. Adding GF products to a non-GF restaurant is not easy if your going to take it seriously
and do it right. Its costly and takes ongoing training and monitoring of processes and procedures. While mistakes can be made and
cross-contamination can occur we feel confident in our process, our employees and our product.
Mountain Mike's Pizza San Diego
Becky M., 2/15/11
"The pizza was very yummy. They are using a new crust and it is fantastic."
Michele V., 2/14/11
"After not eating pizza in a restaurant for two years, I decided to attend the event at Mountain Mike's in Clairemont yesterday. I was not disappointed, thanks to attentive owners Samuel and Heidi Golding, along with their efficient and friendly staff. Everyone in our group was treated to lots of delicious GF pizza and pasta! There are many gourmet varieties of pizza available, and all of the extra toppings are very generous. Most importantly, they are really aware of gluten issues, taking extra precautions to avoid cross contamination. I recommend Mountain Mike's to anyone who is craving a great GF pizza!" Michele V.
"My husband, son and I all went to the restaurant on Clairemont Dr. It was a warm, cozy pizza place with a fun atmosphere and it smelled delicious. The gluten free crust was the best I have tasted so far and I have tried a lot of them. We each got our own personal pan pizza since that is the only size crust they have available right now. So, I got to try three varieties of pizzas. They really were the best gluten-free pizzas I have had thus far. The service was great too! I highly recommend that you take a trip over there, you won't be disappointed. Thank you to Mountain Mikes's for hosting us, it was truly a pleasure." Lisa
Jan P., 2/13/11
"I went to the event at Mountain Mike’s today, and it was wonderful. Everything was free! All pizza eaten there and whole pizza that was ordered there by our group and brought home (I have one in my refrigerator as we speak) was all free! Better than that, well, maybe a notch or two lower than free was the terrific pizza. It was delicious. They also brought some GF pasta for us to sample and take home. All in all a terrific day at Mountain Mike’s." Jan P.
Clairemont Mesa/Mission Bay
3089 Clairemont Drive, Suite E
San Diego, 92117
7377 Jackson Drive
San Diego 92119